The Best CBD Balms
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Cannabidiol (CBD) is being pumped into tons of different types of products these days.
In case you’re late to the party, CBD is one of many active compounds found in the cannabis plant.
While research around it is still underway — there’s much we still have to learn about CBD — so far, the studies we do have suggest that CBD boasts these benefits:
- may help improve sleep
- may help with pain and anxiety
- contains anti-inflammatory properties
- can help reduce seizures in people with epilepsy — Epidiolex for seizures is the only prescription CBD product approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
While you can take CBD through edible products like pills, capsules, or gummies, you might also want to try a topical product like a balm. Topicals can be applied directly to a localized point of soreness or pain. They can even be a relaxing part of a bedtime routine.
Keep reading to learn more about CBD balms, how they work, and how to shop for them.
CBD balms are often thick, almost solid, and waxy. They’re different from CBD salves, which tend to be a bit softer than balms.
Both salves and balms tend to use fatty oils and waxes as base ingredients, while creams and lotions typically use water. Balms are a concentrated product, making them a great go-to choice for pain relief.
CBD balms, like other CBD topicals, are intended to be used directly on your skin. They’re meant to apply relief to a specific area.
Studies on topicals suggest that skin absorbency is pretty weak compared with other mucous membranes. That means when applying a topical product, it’s best to select one with a high level of CBD and apply it liberally.
You can try CBD balms for a variety of uses.
Applying CBD products that offer extra pain-relieving ingredients like menthol, camphor and capsaicin may deliver even more therapeutic effects to the applied areas.
In addition to helping with physical pain, CBD balms may be beneficial for certain skin conditions.
In fact, the American Academy of Dermatology mentions that topical CBD products show potential for reducing inflammation that can contribute to acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
There’s mounting evidence that suggests topical CBD products, like balms, can help with a range of pain issues like:
- Arthritis-related pain. A 2015 study performed on rats discovered that CBD gel applied to the skin significantly lowered joint swelling.
- Nerve pain. A small 2020 study examined topical CBD oil’s impact on pain. In the study, people with nerve damage all reported lower levels of pain, noticing a drop in sharp, severe, cold, and itchy feelings of pain.
- Jaw pain. A 2019 study explored how topical CBD may help with a certain type of facial pain that largely involves the jaw. Researchers discovered that those who used topical CBD around twice daily experienced reduced pain after 2 weeks.
It’s important to keep in mind that research is limited. More research needs to be done on CBD before we can say for sure that it can help with any of these conditions.
We chose these products based on criteria we think are good indicators of safety, quality, and transparency. Each product in this article:
- is made by a company that provides proof of third-party testing by an ISO 17025-compliant lab
- is made with U.S.-grown hemp
- contains no more than 0.3 percent THC, according to the certificate of analysis (COA)
- passes testing for pesticides, heavy metals, and molds, according to the COA
We also considered:
- company certifications and manufacturing processes
- product potency
- overall ingredients
- indicators of user trust and brand reputation, such as:
- customer reviews
- whether the company has been subject to a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warning letter
- whether the company makes any unsupported health claims
- $ = under $40
- $$ = over $40
Lazarus Naturals Full Spectrum CBD Balm, Soothing Mint
- CBD type : Full-spectrum
- CBD potency : 400 mg per 0.67-oz. container or 1,200 mg per 2-oz. container
- COA : Available on product page
These Lazarus Naturals balms are non-GMO and formulated with mango butter and beeswax — specifically for topical use.
This balm is made from full-spectrum CBD, a type of CBD that contains all of the plant’s cannabinoids, including a small amount of THC.
Reviewers love that it’s both cooling — thanks to the wintergreen oil — and warming, thanks to the capsaicin extract. They also rave about the mint scent, saying it’s soothing without being overpowering.
Lazarus Naturals has an assistance program offering 60 percent off to veterans, people with long-term disabilities, and people with low incomes.
Access batch-specific COAs via a link on the product page.
Lord Jones High CBD Formula Heavy Duty Chill Balm
- CBD type : Broad-spectrum
- CBD potency : 200 mg per 1.4-oz. jar
- COA :Available online
This balm from Lord Jones is created using organic shea butter, jojoba oil, and organic extra virgin olive oil.
It’s made using broad-spectrum CBD, a type of CBD that includes every compound found in the cannabis plant except THC.
Reviewers say this thick, high-end balm is ideal for dry skin and is a treat to put on before bedtime. This balm can be used as a head-to-toe-moisturizer and is intended to create a sense of calm.
Lord Jones products are made without synthetic dyes or fragrances, sulfates, formaldehyde, parabens, phthalates, and propylene glycol.
Batch-specific COAs are posted here. However, you have to have a batch number in order to view the COAs. If you want to take a look before you make a purchase, you’ll have to email Lord Jones.
CBD balms are a type of CBD topical that may help soothe aches and pains. Get our top five product picks for the best CBD balms and learn what to look for.
Cv Sciences Plus CBD Extra Strength 100 mg Balm-1.3 oz
Select Delivery Option
- Ship to me Free shipping over $49
- Pick Up In Store Free
This top seller delivers CBD and plant healing and helps restore skin homeostasis. Extra Strength Balm makes your skin vibrant, responsive and healthy looking.
The cannabinoids produced by the hemp plant interact with the endocannabinoids in our skin to soften, smooth, and beautify. And it’s not only the cannabinoids. Our CBD hemp extract also includes the vitamin E, the terpenes that give the plants their smell and perhaps most importantly, the rich fatty acids that moisturize.
BENEFITS OF PLUSCBD BALM
The benefits of applying hemp to your skin go far back in human history. There’s a reason that many of the ancient civilizations and famous doctors referenced the benefits of topical hemp: it works.
With our array of botanical ingredients, these topical hemp extracts soothe the skin and help you recover after strenuous exercise. The cannabinoids, the terpenes, the vitamin E, and the fatty acids all help to protect and beautify your skin. It’s truly a superior topical CBD product.
BUY 3 & SAVE 10%
Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond Oil), Cera Alba (Beeswax), Candelilla/Jojoba/ Rice Bran Polyglyceryl-3 Esters, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Cannabis Sativa (hemp) Seed Oil, Mentha Piperita (peppermint) Oil, Tocopherol, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Equisetum Hiemale Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Cathamus Tinctorius (safflower) Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate
Disclaimer: CBD Oil is not intended for use under the age of 18. Do not take if you are pregnant or lactating. Consult your physician before use if you have a medical condition or are taking any medication. Do not exceed recommended serving size.
Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, 100% Vegan.
Plus CBD Oil™ Balm. this formula of CBD Balm provides a soothing and moisturizing experience for the skin.